At the end of the 19th century, the district of Lafin was connected to Aix-les-Bains only by a path, just like 6 other surrounding districts.
The children at the time were walking a few kilometers to go to the closest school.
At that time was decided the construction of the primary school of Lafin, today still active.
From then on, the district was connected with the city by a road, the Lafin street (rue de Lafin), along which constructions quickly grew.
A building contractor decided to build his own house, the same house you are currently enjoying.
The first part, the East side, was built in 1910.
At that time, our entrepreneur won a market of construction of a villa for which the client wanted to see apparent columns, very fashionable at that time.
Regrettably, for an unknown reason, the latter cancelled the order and the entrepreneur was left with the 10 ordered columns.
This is how were simultaneously born the rotunda and the garage at the end of the garden in which an engraved stone showes the date of construction (1913).
By 1930, the house was becoming too small, and an extension was decided. The first floor of the North wing was built, of which roof was a concrete slab.
Very quickly, this roof began to leak. The best solution consisted of building the second floor on top of the first one, with a classic roof made of a timber structure and tiles.
For the same reasons again, the second extension, the South wing was built in the next two years.
The technique of insulation used at the time consisted of covering the ceiling with a thick bed of straw dried and coated with mud.
During the repair of the roof in 2015, this straw bed was kept. The roof was reconstructed identical to the original, not to disturb the thermal and hydrometric balance achieved at the time.
Up to nine people lived under these roofs at the same time.
Until year 2000, the house remained in the same condition. Two single sisters descendant from this family were living here, and they were more focused on cultivating their kitchen garden, spread over almost the whole surface of the current garden, than on working in the house.
One of them was the baby-minder of an Egyptian prince, who had a room at his disposal. Still alive, and very attached to the house, he sometimes enquires about the progress of the renovations.
It was therefore not until year 2000 that a couple of teachers engaged into the first phase of works.
This is when the house was equipped with central heating, the attic was layed out, and the roof of the first extension was refurbished.
In 2009, new owners began the realization of a connection between both wings, as well as a complete overhaul of the the South wing in which are today located the living room and the dining room.
Finally, in 2013, we purchased the house and began numerous renovation works in order to give to the house a modern style and comfort standard.
These works were realized by using modern techniques while keeping elements that have gone through all these times.
This is how some of the new windows, made of wood, contain the original espagnolettes, magnificent molded cast-iron parts.
In the same spirit, pitchpin floors (very fashionable canadian pine at the beginning of the 20th century) were kept as much as possible and completely restored throughout the house.
The outside heat insulation, the reorganization of all the rooms, the modification of the last extension were all realized in the view of improving the thermal and acoustical insulation of the house, for the comfort of the occupiers.
We wish you a pleasant stay at our ancestral guest house and encourage you to make the most of the pleasures offered by the city of Aix-les-Bains and the lake Le Bourget during that time.